Wednesday, December 28, 2011

How to Knit a Dishcloth (pattern in the public domain)

Hello! This post is for knitters who already know how to knit. I'm just going to post the pattern here. If you are a beginner and would like more detailed directions, please visit my post, "How to Knit a Dishcloth: For Beginners (pattern in the public domain)."
I find that dishcloths are very fun and rewarding to make. They turn out beautifully, and they are very good quality. I made some for my mother and for my eldest sister this past Christmas. They make very good gifts.
These should be done with cotton yarn. I think they are especially beautiful with variegated yarn.


You will need:

1) A ball of cotton yarn.
2) A pair of knitting needles. I used size 9 or 10, but I think I would have rather had something a bit smaller, maybe a size 7 or 8.
3) A pair of scissors.

Directions:

1) Cast on four stitches.
2) Knit one row as usual.
3) Knit two, yarn over, and then knit to the end of the row. You will use this pattern of knitting until you have 44 loops on your needle.
4) Knit one, knit two together, yarn over, knit two together, and then knit to the end of the row. You will use this pattern of knitting until you only have 4 loops on the needle.
5) Bind off.
6) Cut your yarn. Separate the tail into two sections with two threads per section. You should have four all together.
7) Thread one of these sections through a nearby loop on the dishcloth. You may have to use one of your needles to open up the hole a little.
8) Knot the two sections together three times. Pull tightly. Cut the threads short.
9) Do the same to the other tail.

                                           

1 comment: